Information We Collect
We may collect information on you in three ways: automatically through the website; if and when you supply information to us; and from other sources. Each of these three types of data collection, and our use of that information, will be further explained below.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
Under European Union (EU) data protection law, our legal grounds for collecting and using your information are as follows:
- The use is necessary to fulfill a contractual obligation (such as complying with the terms of a Creative Commons or other license for the use of your content); or
- The use is necessary to provide the functions of the website (such as comments and user feedback forms); or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (such as our need to maintain reasonable records of payments received or image usage rights); or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information — for example, to safeguard the integrity of this website, to troubleshoot technical problems, to better understand how many people access our content, to conduct research into the subjects of our articles; and to appropriately respond to your inquiries regarding our work; or
- You have given us your consent.
Notice to Parents Regarding Children Under 16
Ate Up With Motor is not intended for or directed at children under 16.
Unless otherwise required by law, if we receive any personally identifiable information that we know or reasonably suspect is from a child under the age of 16 (e.g., a Comment Form submission or comment), it is our policy to promptly delete such information without disclosing it or using it for any purpose and to take all reasonable and appropriate measures to delete any copies of the information from our database and records. If you have questions, please contact us via one of the methods listed below.
Information We Gather Automatically
(Note: Portions of this section were adapted from language previously suggested and/or required by Google Inc. (“Google”) for users of its web analytics service.)
Please note that Google Analytics does not provide your IP address or other personal information to us except in the form of anonymous, aggregate statistics. For example, Google Analytics tells us what percentage of our visitors come from a particular country and what percentage use a particular type of browser, not what country a specific visitor comes from.
The reason we collect this type of aggregate, anonymous user information is to better understand how many visitors the website has and how they use the site (for example, to determine which articles are the most popular). We may use this aggregate data for the purpose of selling advertising on the site (for example, to inform potential advertisers how many unique visitors the site has in an average month) or to help us identify and diagnose potential performance issues and technical problems (for example, to troubleshoot a technical issue that affects only one specific type of browser).
Ate Up With Motor does not use this analytics service or the data it gathers to personally identify our visitors, nor do we link or associate such information with personally identifying or potentially personally identifying information. Furthermore, we have configured Google Analytics to partially anonymize visitors’ locations by removing the final octet of each IP address. We have NOT enabled the Google Analytics User-ID tracking features, and as of April 11, 2018, we have disabled the User Analysis metrics in Google Analytics reporting.
Ate Up With Motor has not authorized Google to share Google Analytics data with other Google products or services, although Google may access, use, or transfer the data to third parties for troubleshooting or service-improvement purposes or for legal reasons. You can learn more about how Google uses the information collected by the Google Analytics service at this link: “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps.”
Google offers an add-on for many common web browsers that allows you to opt out of transmitting information to Google Analytics. You can find the add-on at this link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. (Please note that we take no responsibility for the functionality of this tool or any other tools provided by Google.)
Ate Up With Motor also uses Majestic® SEO, a service of Majestic-12 Ltd., to analyze backlinks to this website. (See the Majestic SEO website for more information on this service.) However, Majestic-12 does not gather information about site visitors.
Server and Error Logs
We, or our web host, may use the information in these logs to troubleshoot technical problems such as broken or outdated internal links; to improve the functionality of the site; to block spam and hotlinking or other unauthorized use of Ate Up With Motor images or other content; and/or to prevent or resist electronic attacks or intrusion attempts (which may involve our temporarily or permanently blocking certain IP addresses). We do not release the log data except as described in “Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information” below.
Reports and Aggregated Statistics
From time to time, Ate Up With Motor may compile or release aggregated, non-personally identifying information about users of the website. For example, we may publish a report on trends in the usage of the website such as total page views, the average number of unique visitors per month, the most popular pages on the site, or the average time visitors spend on the site. We may display this information publicly or provide it to others (including to potential advertisers). However, such reports will not contain any personally identifying information on Ate Up With Motor visitors. Ate Up With Motor does not disclose personally identifying information other than as described in “Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information” below.
Certain content on Ate Up With Motor is hosted on and served by third parties, which may gather data on site visitors who access that content. We do not receive or have access to user data collected by these third parties, nor do we have any control over their use of such data.
The Ate Up With Motor website may use fonts from the Google Fonts API, which is a set of web fonts hosted on a remote server owned by Google Inc. (and located in the United States). The Google Fonts service does not place cookies on your computer, but may record certain information about your computer when you visit a page that uses one or more of those fonts. Click here to learn more about what information Google collects and how they use it.
From time to time, we may post embedded content hosted and served by one or more third-party websites — for example, an embedded player or display window showing images, videos, or audio files hosted on an external hosting website. Such embedded content may place cookies on your computer or device, incorporate so-called “tracking pixels” or “pixel tags” (small image files that allow the hosting site to track when a webpage containing that image is loaded), and/or include other mechanisms that allow the hosting site to gather certain information about you. For example, an embedded video player may read your Internet Protocol (IP) address to determine if you are permitted to view a particular video in your country or region.
Ads on Ate Up With Motor
As of July 26, 2013, advertisements (including sponsored links) appearing on Ate Up With Motor are served by us — that is, the advertisement content resides on our website server along with our other content.
You may find additional information on our advertisers’ individual privacy policies at the following links:
Information You Provide to Us
If you send us money, contact us via the feedback forms, or interact with the site in certain other ways, we will collect various personal information that you provide to us. The type and amount of information, and what we do with it, will depend on the context, as described below.
You can refuse to supply personally identifying information, although doing so may prevent you from using certain functions, such as comments.
If you make a payment to Ate Up With Motor, such as the purchase of advertisements or a contribution made via the “Contribute” button in the Support Ate Up With Motor box, we will record your name, company name (if applicable), address and contact information, and any other personal or payment information necessary to complete your transaction. We retain all transaction-related information for bookkeeping and tax reporting purposes.
When you make a payment or contribution to us via PayPal, Ate Up With Motor receives a standard transaction report that contains personally identifying information, including your name, email address, mailing address, and the date and amount of your payment. This report does NOT include your bank account or credit card numbers — PayPal does not provide and we do not have access to the credit card or bank information you use with your PayPal transactions. As with other types of transactions, Ate Up With Motor retains copies of these transaction reports for bookkeeping and tax reporting purposes.
By making a payment or contribution to Ate Up With Motor (whether by check, money order, via PayPal, or by any other means), you grant us express permission to disclose personal or payment information associated with your transaction(s) with Ate Up With Motor, including copies of any applicable checks and the PayPal transaction reports described above:
- To our bank, legal counsel, accountant/bookkeeper, tax preparer, and/or tax attorney, as we deem reasonably necessary to our routine business operations and for our legal protection; and/or:
- To the applicable payment processor and their legal counsel, auditors, or fraud protection services (for example, if we must provide information for a dispute or fraud investigation); and/or:
- To any applicable tax auditor or investigator; and/or
- As described in “Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information” below.
By making a payment or contribution, you also grant us express permission to contact you via email or postal mail to complete or acknowledge your transaction and/or to address questions specifically related to your transaction(s) with us.
If you post a comment on Ate Up With Motor, we will record the screen name and email address you provide along with certain information about your browser, including your Internet Protocol (IP) address. A copy of your comment, along with your screen name, the email address you provided, and your IP address, will then be automatically emailed to the site administrator. If your comment is in reply to another user’s comment on which that user has selected the “Notify” option, a copy of your comment and your screen name (but not your email address or IP address) will also be automatically emailed to that user.
Ate Up With Motor may record and use the information in and associated with your comment (including the IP address, email address, and browser information) to verify that you are a human being and not a “bot” or automated system; to secure the website against spam, fraud, abuse, or electronic attacks (for example, by blocking IPs associated with previous electronic attacks or spam); troubleshoot technical problems; and of course respond to your comment and/or question.
If you include a valid email address with your comment, we may email you at that address to respond to your comment (or the associated comment thread, if any), particularly if your comment includes a question or offer of assistance, or if we need to clarify some aspect of your comment (for example, if you have posted two very similar comments, we may email you to ask which one you want us to publish).
Also, if you set your comment to notify you of replies, our system will automatically email you each time a reply is posted. If you no longer wish to receive email replies, you may (1) delete your original comment (reposting it without the notification setting, if you wish); or (2) leave a comment, send us an email at admin (at) ateupwithmotor (dot) com, or use the Contact Form to ask us to stop notifying you of comment replies.
Please note that if you delete your comment, archival copies of the original comment and its associated information may remain in our records or in backups or archives created by us or our web host. However, once the comment is marked as deleted, we will not publish or otherwise release that comment or its associated personal information except as described in “Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information” below.
If you contact us via any of the feedback forms, including the Contact Form or Advertise with Us form, or if you submit an Image Authorization Form, we will record any data you enter into the form (including your name and email address) as well as the date and time of your submission and certain information about your browser, including your Internet Protocol (IP) address. A copy of the form, including your screen name, the email address you provided, and your IP address, will be automatically emailed to the site administrator.
Ate Up With Motor may record and use the information in and associated with your comment (including the IP address, email address, and browser information) to verify that you are a human being and not a “bot” or automated system; to secure the website against spam, fraud, abuse, or electronic attacks (for example, by blocking IPs associated with previous electronic attacks or spam); troubleshoot technical problems; to ensure accurate records of any image usage license you provide us; and of course respond to your inquiry.
When you press the “submit” button on any of our forms, our system will automatically send an email acknowledgment, including a copy of your message or submission, to the email address you provided. If you do not wish to receive future email messages from us, you may contact us via email (the simplest way is to reply to the notification email and type the word “REMOVE” in the subject line of your reply) or via a comment (although see the note above regarding comment notifications). Please note that if you submit a NEW message via one of the contact forms, you may still receive an automated response.
Inquiries, Submissions, and Support Requests
If you send us a message via email, the feedback forms, or one of our associated social media accounts, we will normally respond via the email address you supply (or, if applicable, via the same social media account) unless you indicate you wish us to respond by some other means.
If your message includes a question, correction, or request for technical support, we will record that comment for our internal reference and records. We may also elect to publish your inquiry or excerpts of it on the Ate Up With Motor website or our associated social media accounts in order to help us respond to your questions or comments or support other users with similar concerns. However, other than the name or pseudonym you supply, we will not publish or release your email address, mailing address, IP address, or other associated personal information unless you specifically ask us to to so or as described in “Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information” below.
If we have published your inquiry or an excerpt thereof as described above and you wish us to amend or redact any personal information it may include (for example, to remove your name and substitute a pseudonym), we will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate your request provided that it does not infringe on the rights of others or attempt to impersonate some other individual or organization.
If you provide us (whether via comment, contact form, email, or by other means) with significant assistance with Ate Up With Motor content (for example, if you supply images, suggest useful resources, or offer substantial factual corrections) or assist us in the resolution of a technical issue, we may elect to acknowledge you by name or applicable pseudonym, generally in the “Acknowledgments” or “Notes on Sources” section of the applicable article(s), unless you have specifically asked us not to or if the context of your communications with us reasonably suggests that you prefer not to be acknowledged or identified. This acknowledgment will be limited to your name/pseudonym and the nature of your assistance and will not include your email address or other personal information unless you expressly request that we publish such additional information.
In the event that you have received such an acknowledgment here or on Ate Up With Motor’s associated social media accounts and would like us to remove it, please contact us via email at aseverson (at) ateupwithmotor (dot) com or the Contact Form and we will promptly delete the applicable acknowledgment(s). If you wish to alter or correct the acknowledgment (for example, to replace a pseudonym with your real name or vice versa), we will make our best efforts to accommodate your request so long as it does not infringe on the rights of others or attempt to impersonate some other individual or organization.
Information We Receive from Other Sources
From time to time, we may receive information about individuals from third-party sources. For instance, we routinely gather publicly available information about people involved in the auto industry as part of our research, which we may use and publish for journalistic purposes and historical documentation (including the creation of appropriate bibliographies and credits). If we use an image or other content under a Creative Commons or similar license, we also gather all appropriate and necessary information to properly attribute that content and otherwise comply with the applicable license terms.
In some cases, we may receive information about someone from a different individual; for example, a reader might provide the contact information of an individual or firm that could assist us with research or images for an article. We may also obtain publicly available information about visitors or people who contact us. For example, if you send us a message via one of the feedback forms, we might look up your name in a search engine or visit your website.
Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information
Ate Up With Motor does not rent or sell personally identifying or potentially personally identifying information we gather through the website.
We may release or disclose personal information we gather through the website:
- As part of a public response to an inquiry or support request, as described in Inquiries, Submissions, and Support Requests above.
- In the form of Acknowledgments of User Assistance and Information, as described above.
- To our third-party vendors — including our web host, DreamHost, LLC; PayPal (which processes financial transactions for us); and Google (which provides the Google Analytics service mentioned above) — that need to know that information and that have agreed not to disclose that information to others. Those vendors may be located outside your home country or the European Economic Area; by using this website, you consent to our transfer of such information to them. Google has signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield, which governs the privacy and security of data Google processes from residents of the European Economic Area.
- If we are required by law to do so (for example, if we receive a subpoena, court order, or other government order requiring us to disclose certain information).
- If we believe in good faith that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property, rights, and/or safety of Ate Up With Motor, third parties, or the public at large.
- If we sell the Ate Up With Motor website and its assets, or if Ate Up With Motor goes out of business or enters bankruptcy (in which case any purchaser or other acquirer of Ate Up With Motor or its assets could continue to use your personal information only as set forth in this policy).
- If we have received your express authorization to do so.
- If the information is de-identified or aggregated such that it could not reasonably be used to identify you.
Ate Up With Motor takes all reasonable and appropriate measures to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction of potentially personally identifying and personally identifying information.
As of May 25, 2018, we have configured Google Analytics to automatically delete saved user and event data from the analytics service after twenty-six (26) months.
Most server and error log data is retained for thirty (30) days or less, although in certain cases, such as in the aftermath of a data breach, relevant information may be retained for longer periods. Also, some log data may be captured in backups created by us or our web host, which may be retained for a year or more.
We customarily retain other data indefinitely, particularly data related to financial transactions (which we must keep for accounting purposes), image use authorizations, and Creative Commons image attribution information.
Your Rights (GDPR and California Do Not Track Disclosures)
Ate Up With Motor does not currently respond to DoNotTrack browser settings.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (aka the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
If you have questions or would like to exercise these rights, you can contact us as described below. We’ve also added a Privacy Tools page that will let you automatically retrieve your data based on your email address. (Please note that this does not include server and error log data, nor does it include analytics results, which are not accessible to us on a user-specific basis.)
Controllers, Questions, and How to Reach Us
The controller for processing personal information is Aaron Severson dba Ate Up With Motor, 11100 National Bl. #3, Los Angeles, CA 90064.
If you have questions about this policy or would like to remove your data from our records, please contact us at admin (at) ateupwithmotor (dot) com or via the Contact Form.
- May 20, 2018: Further minor clarifications regarding GDPR compliance, including the use of logs and data from third parties.
- May 19, 2018: Extensive clarifications and some rearrangement of text for ease of reading. Added GDPR information.
- May 10, 2018: Updated age restriction from 13 to 16.
- April 11, 2018: Updated Online Tracking section to note that as of May 25, 2018, Google Analytics will automatically delete user and event data after 26 months. Also clarified that we have NOT enabled the User-ID tracking settings and that as of April 11, 2018, we have disabled the Users metric in our Google Analytics reports.
- April 4, 2017: Updated links from http to https.
- February 11, 2016: Further clarified Contact and Image Authorization Forms section: changed “and/or appropriately attribute images you have provided for use on Ate Up With Motor” –> “and/or appropriately attribute images and/or factual information you have provided for use on Ate Up With Motor”.
- February 10, 2016: Clarified Contact and Image Authorization Forms section: changed “We may record and use this information to …” –> “Ate Up With Motor may record and use the personally identifiable or potentially personally identifiable information associated with your submission to …”>; added “… ensure accurate records of our image usage rights and/or any related business transactions; and/or appropriately attribute images you have provided for use on Ate Up With Motor” to the list of uses; added note that “This information may also be stored in archives and backup files created by us or our web host”; and changed “we will not release that information except as described in “Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information” below” –> “we will not release personally identifiable information related to your submission except as described below” for clarity.
- January 13, 2016: Added note to preamble clarifying that variations in text style have no legal significance.
- January 11, 2016: Amended Contact and Image Authorization Forms to note that excerpts of inquiries may also be published on our associated social media accounts to respond to requests or support other users, and may include your name or pseudonym.
- January 8, 2016: In Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information section, moved “Discounting Acknowledgments of User Assistance and Information (as described above)” to a bullet-point item. Rearranged wording of item regarding contractors, service providers, and business partners for clarity. Changed the last paragraph of that section to: “Ate Up With Motor takes all reasonable and appropriate measures to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction of potentially personally identifying and personally identifying information.” Added to Acknowledgments of User Assistance and Information section: “This acknowledgment will be limited to your name/username and the nature of your assistance and will not include your email address or other personal information unless you expressly request that we publish such additional information.” Changed “or other means” to “or by other means” and changed “replace a username” to “replace a username or pseudonym”. Minor editorial corrections.
- January 7, 2016: Added BootstrapCDN info to Embedded Content section. Updated Server and Error Logs: “(such as, but not limited to, the IP address and in some cases the browser type and referring site, if any)” –> “(such as, but necessarily not limited to, the IP address; the user agent information supplied by the browser, including browser type/version and operating system; and in some cases the referring site, if any)” and added “to improve the functionality of the site” to the list of uses.
- January 6, 2016: Clarified revision list. ETA: Editorial corrections. ETA: Slight rewording of Google Analytics information (“and the date and time of each visit” –> “and the date, time, and length of each visit”). Moved the link to the Google Analytics opt-out plugin from the Opting Out section to the Online Tracking section. Reworded Opting Out text (“Users may consider …” –> “However, users may wish to consider”) accordingly. Amended Server and Error Logs: “such as the IP address” –> “such as, but not limited to,”. ETA: In Embedded Content section, changed “Ate Up With Motor does not collect, receive, or have access to any user data related to these fonts” –> “Ate Up With Motor does not collect or receive any user data related to these fonts” and changed “to learn more about how Google uses this information” –> “to learn more about what information Google collects and how they use it”. Struck the word “layout” in that paragraph.
- January 2, 2016: Clarified Comments and Personal Information section to note that we will assume you are authorizing us to publish any information you actually include in a comment you post (ETA: including the name/screen name you supply). (This should be obvious, but we note it here for the record.)
- December 31, 2015: Editorial corrections.
- December 29, 2015: Editorial corrections. Clarified that this entire policy is available under CC BY-SA 4.0. Amended Financial Transactions Policy: “We will not otherwise disclose your information &helllip; –> “We will not otherwise disclose personally identifiable information associated with your transaction …” Amended Contact and Image Authorization Forms: “we will NOT publish or release personally identifying information …” –> “we will NOT publish or release personally identifying information associated with your message …”
- December 28, 2015: Added note about Automattic revision history.
- December 26, 2015: Editorial correction.
- December 25, 2015: Editorial correction.
- December 24, 2015: Added link to Automattic Inc. main site. Reworded Server and Error Log language: “automatically generate access and error logs that include certain information” –> “maintain various logs that collect certain information”.
- December 23, 2015: Minor change in Server and Error Log: “to block spam and unauthorized “hotlinking” to … –> “to block spam and hotlinking or other unauthorized use of …”; editorial corrections.
- December 22, 2015: Editorial and formatting changes; added more detailed recent revision list. Clarified licensing notes for this policy.
- December 19, 2015: Updated language regarding use of information related to comments and form submissions. Updated language clarifying that log information may be used to prevent hotlinking and/or electronic attacks.
- December 10, 2015: Clarified that Google Fonts servers are located in the U.S.
- December 9, 2015: Clarified Server and Error log information. Editorial changes, including rearranging some sections.
- December 3, 2015: Editorial and formatting changes, including editorial and formatting changes to Financial Transactions Policy section.
- October 23, 2015: Added “and/or” to Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information stipulations; editorial changes to Financial Transactions section.
- October 10, 2015: Editorial and formatting changes; editorial changes to Financial Transactions section. Clarified Online Tracking section and noted that Google Analytics servers are located in the U.S.
- August 24, 2015: Added Server and Error Logs information; editorial changes. Changed “court order” to “court order or other government order” in Disclosure of Personally Identifying Information. Added bankruptcy to Ownership Transfers.
- August 10, 2015: Changed the order of the Embedded Content section. Updated license from BY-SA 2.5 to 4.0.
Please contact us if you need information on earlier revisions.